FINISHING THE JOB - THE OTWAYS DEBACLE MUST END
RECOMMENDATION TO AUTUMN 2002 ALP STATE CONFERENCE:
1. The Victorian State Government must commit to ending clearfell logging
of native State forests in the Otways as at 30 June 2002.
2. That the Victorian State Government:
3. That the Victorian State Government and the Federal
Government assist with structural adjustment through employment
creation programs in private plantation forestry and tourism industries
in the Otway-Colac region.
(see related link - Legal Analysis)
THE OTWAYS MOTION FOR THE AUTUMN 2002 ALP STATE CONFERENCE IS TIMELY:
- A Saulwick Poll, commissioned by the ALP Otway Ranges Interest Group, resulted in 69% of Corangamite residents
opposing clearfell logging of the Otways (see related link). The recent
Federal election resulted in a dramatic swing in the Corangamite
electorate (which includes the Otways) away from the ALP to the Greens
Party which gained 6.37% of votes (an increase of 3.3%), whilst
Liberals for Forests gained 2.45% of votes (an increase of 2.45% - no
candidate at the previous election).
- Thirty ALP Branches in 2001 have passed resolutions calling for an end to clearfell logging of the Otways.
MATTERS OF CONCERN TO ALP MEMBERS INCLUDE:
- Clearfell logging is economically inappropriate to
the Otways region given the priority of a burgeoning local tourism
industry now estimated to be valued at around of $1 billion per annum.
- Clearfell logging of native State forests leaves the
terrain bare and highly disturbed, and has major impacts on water
yields and quality in catchments.
- Clearfell logging undermines the biodiversity of the
Otways native forests, including the habitat of native plants, birds
and animals and has the effect of converting native State forests into
- The Otways must be properly regarded as a special
environmental/tourism living zone guaranteeing preservation of the
natural beauty of the Otway Ranges.
THE BEGINNING (Labor's Beginning)
THE END - (Environmental vandalism of the Otways by the Bracks Labor
Government must stop - it is WRONG)
Callahans Logging Coupe - Geelong Water Catchment